Amataros pizza wasn’t the first choice we had when we drove out of the house yesterday. I was in the mood for something local and maybe a Mountain View of Doi Suthep. But then, out of compassion for my wife, that wasn’t in the mood to be eaten by mosquitoes, we changed.
The Facebook Ad from Amataros had already popped up quite a few times, and I had checked the menu and reviews on Google. New place, sourdough pizza, exciting creations of pizza. What could go wrong? Nothing, it turned out. This is not only the best sourdough pizza in Chiang Mai. It is the most excellent pizza overall.
Well, Google took us for a bit of a ride. Amataros is just one left turn from the Canal road and the soi straight up. In a bit unexpected undeveloped area, though, if you have a great product, the customers will come to you anyway.
What did we like about Amataros?
- First of all the pizza is good. Thin and crunchy crust and some exciting versions of pizza toppings and many options. Check the photo of the menu below.
- The salad and soup dishes are enormous and also delicious.
- Amiable owners even offered samples of their pastry and soups to their customers. They are from Bangkok and lived a few years in Germany.
- The interior is neatly designed. High roof, minimalistic and some stunning teak tables from recycled wood. My wife keeps interviewing the owner about the tables. The small, newly arranged garden with gravel and trees was a wonderful approach to the restaurant.
- NOTE, they don’t sell alcohol. However you can bring your own, and there is no extra charge.
- We found it cheap for what you got—considering the amount of food, the taste, service and friendly atmosphere. We felt welcome and almost like it was a private setting and home cooking.
What might become an issue in the future when they get more popular and famous is that it might be a bit difficult to park. And if the restaurant fills up, I am not sure, but with all that personal attention and service they offer, it might render you to wait a bit for the food.
But anyway, this is not a restaurant you go to if you are in a run and want to grab something quick.
We are definitely returning to Amataros Pizza again. Maybe already tonight!
Amataros location on Google Maps is here.
Are you staying in the Nimmanhemin area? Then maybe you want to try the Italian restaurant(Italics) in Akyra Manor. Read more about it here.